Sweet ANN, codenamed originally "JODIE", is an English VOCALOID developed and distributed by PowerFX Systems AB., and was released in June 2007 for the VOCALOID2 engine. Her voice bank was originally developed for the the first VOCALOID engine before being ported. She is voiced by an Australian singer whose artist name is "Jody". Other than a name, her voice provider's identity has not been revealed.
Her name is a pun based on her origins, meaning that Sweet-Ann = Swe-den.
Sweet ANN has been described as a "white Lena Horne" by PowerFX. According to PowerFX, their VOCALOIDs are more like Cyborgs than Androids.
Her boxart image itself appears to be based on the poster art for a movie "Stormy Weather" starring Lena Horne. The version used for Sweet ANN's own boxart has simply been coloured in to give her blond hair and blue eyes. There are a number of variants of the poster in colour as well as black and white.
She is the first English VOCALOID to have a depiction as such on her boxart, although at this point, the general idea of a true "avatar" would not be considered until Hatsune Miku's release a few months later. She is loosely based on "The Bride of Frankenstein". Her staples (or stitches) are often mistaken for a choker.
The microphone in her original release is based on the iconic Shure Brothers microphone, the model 55s, Multi-Impedance "Small Unidyne" Dynamic which was first released in 1951.
For more on VOCALOID relationships, see the FAQ.
Music featuring Sweet ANNEdit
- Sweet ANN is featured in 44 songs and 19 albums on this wiki.
- There are listings for notable and original songs.
Examples of usage
Shu-tP (lyics, music, arrange), i1150 (illust)
She was sold under as a 'space lounge robo-vocalist sensation'.
Like VOCALOIDs before her, she was aimed at professional musicians, as there was no established VOCALOID fandom.
- Sweet ANN has become so popular with the Japanese audience that she became the first English VOCALOID to receive an MMD model, edited by Shuki. After Sweet ANN's MMD model was created, people began to make other English VOCALOIDs into models, such as BIG AL, whose model was created by Nukude.
- Her Japanese nicknames 甘音アン (Amane Ann) means "Sweet Sound Ann", and 甘いアン (Amai Ann) is a play on words. "Amai Ann/An" is the word-to-word translation from English and can be read as "sweet bean paste," a common cuisine in Japan.
- In Project Diva Arcade, Sweet ANN can be heard singing in the background of Magical Sound Shower, even though she is not a Crypton Future Media VOCALOID.
- Sweet ANN can be heard singing the words "Helvetica Standard" in the anime, "Nichijou", as well as background music.
- Sweet ANN's voice was used in the demo for the Vocaloid's Ap for Miselu Neiro, a portable Android-powered synthesizer.
- Sweet Ann is the first Vocaloid to feature the model 55s microphone on her boxart. This has become one of the most notable boxart microphones and is seen also on Lily's, MEIKO V3 and Cyber Diva's boxarts.
At the time of release, ANN received positive reviews; many praising her "sweet" voice. Reviewers noted that on occasion she sounded realistic enough to not notice she was a virtual singer which was also pleasing to reviewers. Another positive sign was that reviewers had praised the improvements between VOCALOID and VOCALOID2. This resulted in ANN receiving a good reception upon her release.
In late 2009, prior to the release of BIG AL, she was regarded as the second most popular English VOCALOID. The first most popular was Prima.
Sweet ANN was for a time, the most used English Vocaloid on Nico Nico Douga.
In the Nico Nico Douga International Vocaloid ranking 2010, ANN was the 4th most common VOCALOID in the top 30 rankings. She appeared in 3 songs.
"海外組VOCALOIDランキング2010（仮）" by あっちゃん ft. English VOCALOIDs
An independent search on Nico Nico Douga revealed that most VOCALOIDs had less than 1,000 videos uploaded on Nico Nico Douga in 2011 between July 1st and December 15th. Sweet ANN fell into that category.
In 2013 a poll on E-Capsule's website showed that Sweet ANN got the most votes of interest.
|English||PowerFX Systems AB. official homepage||Link|
|English||VOCALOID2 Sweet Ann product page for||Link|
|English||MySpace The official MySpace page for VOCALOID Sweet ANN||Link|
|English||deviantArt , art and media community||Link|
|Japanese||Pixiv , art and media community||Link|